I collect dance movies for two reasons – to be entertained and become motivated me to dance. Pero inaamin ko na limitado ang alam kong pelikula, piling-pili lang ang nagugustuhan ko.
Bakit gusto ko magsayaw?
So far I have dance movies na naalala kong napanood ay:
- a Christmas gift for me ang Dirty Dancing – Top billed by the great dancer-actor I know- the late Patrick Swayze (Ghost) and Jennifer Grey –tagline: First dance. First love. The time of your life. OST- popularized I’ve Had The Time of My Life. Famous punch line: Nobody puts Baby in the corner.
- Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights– featuring Diego Luna (Y tu Mama Tambien) and Romola Garai (Atonement) – tagline: Break the Rules. Find Your Freedom. Live Your Life. OST: popularized Hips Don’t Lie by Shakira
Save The Last Dance – top billed by one of my favorite Hollywood actresses Julia Stiles with Sean Patrick Thomas and Kerry Washington – tagline: The Only Person You Need To Be Is Yourself.
- Take the Lead – starring one of my favorite actors Antonio Banderas( The Mask of Zorro / Desperado/ Original Sin) with half Filipino artist Dante Basco and one of my most admired dancers Jenna Dewan (tagline: Never Follow)
- Step Up – featuring Jenna Dewan and Channing Tatum (G.I. Joe: The Rise of the Cobra/ Dear John) – tagline: Every second chance begins with a first step.
- Step Up 2: The Street – starring Briana Evigan (Subject: I Love You with ”my admirer” Jericho Rosales) and Robert Hoffman, with special participation of renowned International Filipino dance group- JabbaWockeez-tagline: It’s not where you’re from. It’s where you’re at. -OST: Low by Flo Rida
- Shall We Dance– Top billed by Richard Gere (Pretty Woman/ Unfaithful), Susan Sarandon (Enchanted) and Jennifer Lopez ( Monster In Law/ Maid in Manhattan/ Selena)
Tagline: Step out of the ordinary
Punch Line: The rumba is the vertical expression of a horizontal wish. You have to hold her, like the skin on her thigh is your reason for living. Let her go, like your heart’s being ripped from your chest. Throw her back, like you’re going to have your way with her right here on the dance floor. And then finish, like she’s ruined you for life. – Paulina (Jennifer Lopez)
- Stomp The Yard – starring Columbus Short, Ne-Yo and introducing Chris Brown.
Tagline: Beyond the pride. Beyond the rivalry. Beyond the tradition.
Punch line – It’s not just about you. It’s about us, we’re a team. – Duron (Chris Brown)
- Center Stage – It features typical plot pero what it makes it so special ay naka-focus sa ballet. This movie let’s you appreciate this kind of dance, the ballet dancers, and the passion they have. Gustong-gusto ko yung mga routines, kung kaya ko lang sana hehehe.
Napanood ko na rin ang mga dance movies na:
Save The Last Dance 2 –mas bet ko ang una.
Bring it On – Okay lang
Make It Happen – feature dito ang Just Dance ni Lady Gaga at napaka-creative ang steps + stage set up sa bar. Para itong modern version ng FlashDance pero pinagbibidahan nina Mary Elizabeth Winstead and Riley Smith.
Tagline: Hear the Music, Feel The Beat, Make it Happen. OST: popularized Just Dance by Lady Gaga
My comment: medyo boring sa simula and nakatatlong stop ako bago ko natapos. Nakikinita–kita na ‘yong usual formula for a dance flick. Tapos parang hindi bagay ‘yong bidang lalaki at babae. And yong sayaw final dance niya para makapasok sa famous school dance sa Chicago ay hindi appealing for me. parang oo maganda ang moves niya pati na ang music niyang Just Dance pero parang labo-labo. Unlike sa nakita ko sa Save The Last Dance at Step Up (incidentally ay iisa lang pala ang sumulat ng mga film na ito.)
However, masasabi ko na nagagandahan ako kay Mary Elizabeth at nahuhusayan sa kanyang sayaw. Creative and alluring din ang mga dance number nila sa Ruby’s kung saan siya nagtatrabaho. Okay din ang kanyang struggle as an individual and quest for her dream to dance. But the part that inspires me ay ‘yong linya ni Russ (Riley)- Here’s the thing, everyone (who) walks away from their dream has a reason. But I think it’s brave to take another shot.
In fairness na-move ako ng linyang ‘yan and dahil diyan pasok na itong movie sa check list ko.